Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bee Man

The Rickster is lovin his new hobby...
He loves to look at the bees and doesn't even wear gloves. Here he is holding the queen bee's box before she ate her way out. Surprisingly the bees are pretty docile and you can just stand around the hive and they will fly around, sometimes land on you but then go away. We have only had one sting and that was Oscar who started batting at the bees when one landed on him.
Saturday Oscar did his first ever three mile run. He finished in about 37 minutes...we are so proud! Rick ran with him and the girls (it seems funny to type "Girls") and I did the 10K with a couple of other friends.

The best part about this run is the jet-boat ride back to the starting line. Poppy and I sat in the back of the boat with Missy Hazel. It is so nice to be running again, albeit pretty slow! Thanks to Ashley and Linda who convinced me to do the 10k it was nice to feel a little bit back to normal.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Suzie-Q said...

Rob would just stay inside the whole time. He really doesn't like bees, trhe freak him out, I guess it has something to do with being allergic...
I think it is pretty cool.
Good job on the running. It is neat that you all have running blood in you. I just don't have that, but I admire those of you who do.

Danielle said...

Wow! Good job Oscar! There's no way I could do that! And you Miss Collette, are amazing! You go girl, I'll just be cheering you on from the sidelines (no offense! I'm NOT a runner)!!!

Maren and Blake said...

I feel that Oscar has trumped me in the 5k run. It took me 34 minutes. Great job Oscar! I will have to join you next year for this run. The pictures were beautiful.

the herd said...

Holy Cow! I'm very proud of you! That's great of Oscar! What great time. That's wonderful!

I think this bee hobby is neat! I'm interested in how the neighbors feel of if they even notice.

Jen said...

oscar is amazing! what a great kid. and you, missy- running a 10K when Hazel isn't even 2 months!!! i wonder where oscar gets his drive from....hmmm.....

you guys are the greatest family. we miss you.

mamma locks said...

YAY!! you did the Run, I remember you talking about it. I chickened out of mine because of school being to demanding. Something about a dumb Thesis project. But I'm still going strong at about a 4 mile stretch. I am going to join a race in June. My sister in law Elisha is doing a marathon this summer too. The bees look like so much fun, what a crazy hobby dude. I think Rick should get an award.