Monday, January 1, 2007

Herculean Husband

Happy new year blog world!
We celebrated our New Year's day by doing a nine mile run. The sky was beautiful the air was a bit nippy and the run was great!
As usuall on one of these organized runs...I tell my sweet spouse to run on ahead with the front crowd, while I maintain my slow easy going pace. I should mention here that not only does he waste me on completion, but he pushes our two darling children in the jogger while doing so! This is no easy stroller to push(I know from experince that my jogger-pushing limit is 4 miles). The stroller weighs in at about 20 lbs and then when you add the weight of our kids there is an extra 60+ lbs. That is 80 lbs to push while sometimes going against the wind!!! Amazing!
This isn't the first time he has done this. In October he did a half marathon while pushing the kids. He still finished 15 minuets sooner than me. I'm not complaining...believe me I'm very grateful that he has the stamina and will power to do it. In fact that is one of the things I love about him! His will power and strength are quite attractive.
I think that this could be a theme in our marriage. Rick decides to challenge himself on something and I merely tag along to see if I can do it too. I don't try to compete with him...merely try to finish. In fact I noticed today that I really don't feel competitive to anyone who decides to pass me (unless I'm on my bike, that's a different story) . I find that I let them pass me by and I stay at my pace and tromp onward.
This New Year I want to give tribute to the great guy I married (who married me) and how grateful I am that he gives me the confidence I need to push a little harder and try a little more. I'm a better person because of him!

4 comments:

A. Buchanan said...

sounds fun, we are going night skiing at Brighton on Wed. so we are both stoked! Hope we can all hang out sometime.

mummy said...

Well, I don't know about herculean but when he was a baby we did call him a hermunculus. It came from a story on the radio. We use to listen to Mystery Theater which came on at 8 pm. One story was about a hermunculus that got its own way about everything. Turned out the hurmunculus was a baby. Then there was the time he swam some unforgiveable amount of laps in the pool-all fly. How about the 100 miler when he was 12 or the 50 miler when he was 10. Then he did tackle law school and the bar exam. Come to think of it he has done alot of amazing things in his short 30 years. However the best thing he did was to marry well and have wonderful hermunculuses of his own

Abby Norman said...

I'm glad that you're not competitive (except when it comes to bikes...). It must make life so much easire. Because I have been swimming competitively since I was seven...you could say that competitiveness is brainwashed into me. Except for running. I just try to finish then. I have to say...being overly competitive in everything ain't fun. I'm learning to be much more laid-back, now, as I don't have time to do anything. I'll bottle up all my competitiveness for the pool. Other than that, I just don't have the energy right now...

Abby Norman said...

Man, I can't spell...all well...but I can rhyme...all the time!