Friday, April 20, 2007

Luau Limbo...

Jack be nimble, jack be quick...Jack jump under the limbo stick...
Yes, tonight I nearly (that is, I was the last person over 3 ft, to be standing) won the limbo contest at our ward's Luau. Not to worry, the little munchkins beat me out, including Oscar. I still felt this surge of joy at the fact that I could make it under the stick at all (as a side note: tonight I have discovered an advantage to having a depleted chest size)!
Oscar however, is quite devastated the he was not the "winner". After we were both disqualified, he got all teary and sad. In fact, still at this very moment, he is in his bed bemoaning the fact that he was not the limbo champ.
I tried to comfort him by saying..."don't worry, you still beat me!"... and..."It's OK I still love you"...but to him, the limbo loss is a setback. To this I'm certain there won't be a question of whether or not he can successfully win at the limbo, on his college entrance application. But to a 4 and 3/4 yr old tonight, the limbo is everything.
Oh, to be back in the time of my life where such travesty is just too much to bare. In fact the funny thing about doing the limbo tonight is that is brought back all of these fun memories of doing the limbo as a kid. I also was doing the face painting booth tonight, and had a great time drawing doodles from my younger years.
My cousin Heather and I would sit and paint on our arms and legs for hours as kids. We would doodle on paper and pretty much anything we could find. She still is very much into art, and is creating quite a name for herself in the art world.. as for me, it is a past time that is fun to visit from time to time.
So, tonight as we go to sleep, I'll dream of past times and memories of being a kid...while Oscar dreams of how next time he will be the Limbo champ.
The Rickster did admit, that he too, was distraught for not winning the limbo when he was a kid. I suppose our little Oscar apple didn't fall too far from the tree.
Tomorrow...we will have a Edgie limbo contest, where we will all be winners!!!!

4 comments:

A. Buchanan said...

oh dude...not a fan of the limbo, i looked like a wank trying to go under those bars. but we definitely through down at the skating rink...

Abby Norman said...

I detested the limbo in grade school because I was taller than everyone else...

A. Buchanan said...

Oh and check out lisas new blog!

http://pineappleblonde.blogspot.com/

mama rhodes said...

I always wondered why and who started this limbo nonsense.