Friday, October 26, 2007

Confidence...it's contagious!

(A pumpkin won't grow unless you plant it!)

Today after teaching my spinning class I was contemplating the great people I get to see each time I teach (mainly women, who are working on becoming better individuals by taking care of themselves). They come from all walks of life, but each of them are out there, doing something about who they are, rather than sitting home and doing nothing.

I've recently had connections with some people who are stuck in a self pity cycle of whoa-is-me... and rather than being sympathetic (which is of coarse what I really try to do when someone is in real need) I have found myself wanting to give them a nudge and say...come on don't be sacred, just get up and do something about it!

I should also note that I really have a zero-tolerance policy on whining...Poppy is the queen of it and it pretty much drives me nuts...so in my effort to get her to talk normally I try to say "Poppy, look at me and talk like a big girl".

This is the message that I want to give to those out there who are struggling or are in need of an extra push...get up and take control of the situation and have confidence in your ability to make the right decision! We truly short-change ourselves when we give insecurities the upper hand. I'm not saying I don't have insecurities...believe me I have a ton! But, the ability to see your weakness and to overcome it is so amazing, the knowledge of what you really can do is so inspiring!

After having all of these thoughts while driving home, I came home to find an email from my good friend Merilee and she included this message to me. I'm grateful to her for her inspired email...

"I sincerely hope you sisters fully understand the greatness of your gifts and talents and how all of you can achieve the 'highest place of honor' in the Church and in the world. One of your unique, precious, and sublime gifts is your femininity, with its natural grace, goodness, and divinity. Femininity is not just lipstick, stylish hairdos, and trendy clothes. It is the divine adornment of humanity. It finds expression in your qualities of your capacity to love, your spirituality, delicacy, radiance, sensitivity, creativity, charm, graciousness, gentleness, dignity, and quiet strength. It is manifest differently in each girl or woman, but each of you possesses it. Femininity is part of your inner beauty.

One of your particular gifts is your feminine intuition.
Do not limit yourselves. As you seek to know the will of our Heavenly
Father in your life and become more spiritual, you will be far more
attractive, even irresistible. You can use your smiling loveliness to bless
those you love and all you meet, and spread great joy. Femininity is part
of the God-given divinity within each of you. It is your incomparable
power and influence to do good.
You can, through your supernal gifts, bless
the lives of children, women, and men. Be proud of your womanhood. Enhance
it. Use it to serve others."
(James E. Faust "Womanhood: The Highest Place of Honor," Ensign, May 2000, 96)
With this beautiful quote in mind, I want you to try to think of one thing that you have been not doing, but want to. One thing that you are going to set out to conquer...You can leave me a comment if you are willing to divulge such private information, or you can make a mental note to yourself that you will do something and give yourself a deadline.

I find that if I pledge to do something to someone else, then I HAVE to do it. So here it goes, I pledge that I am going to: Paint with confidence! I have some hidden artistic interests that have been weighing on my mind lately. I have these great ideas and then shirk at my ability to actually do them. Deep down I think I can, but I hesitate because of the commitment to the project that is involved. I currently have about three in the works. I will keep you posted on my progress. As a birthday present to myself, I want to have two of the three completed my NOVEMBER 7th!

4 comments:

Traci said...

That really was a great quote and your words as well. There is plenty I need to work on and I am really going to push myself at exercising daily. It's something I really really struggle with and I know it is good for me, I just need to make it a habit more than a chore. So this is my goal- that I can do it!!!! And hopefully daily too! Thanks for the push, I seem to always be needing them.
Good luck with the painting!!! can't wait to see the pics when done!

Jen said...

oh wow, collette- seriously, this was written to me. i can't even describe the events of the past 2 days that this fits so incredibly with, let alone the past...oh years.
thanks for the push. just so you know, you've been an answer to prayers and an incredible example to me since i've met you. thank you for being who you are!

mummy said...

hey letty-guess who is at my house?

mummy said...

And I am in the process of cleaning or decluttering the house so you guys wont have such a big job one day. It does feel good. I threw away an old reel to reel tape recorder, one of the first made I am sure, but the person visiting his old home said it might be cool so I went out in the garbage and got it out. Someday you will have to throw it away. One day I will know how to use a period and stop writing run on sentences