Tuesday, February 19, 2008

LENT (modified, deprivation diet)

Get your lent challenges ready!

Here are the stipulations...and a little bit of background.

This all began from my non-catholic friend Andrea who would give up junk food during lent. She convinced me to do it with her, giving up ice cream my first year trying. This will be the 4th year I have participated. Albeit a bit late in the game.
Lent, in most Christian denominations, is the forty-day liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter.[1] The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where, according to the Bible, he endured temptation by Satan.[2] Different churches calculate the forty days differently. (This comes courtesy of wikipedia.)

Although this is a great tradition...we LDS saints fast(no food or drink for 24 hrs) the first Sunday of each month and religiously do not practice "lent" and previously outlined. No, we use our monthly fasts for similar purposes. The "lent" we are about to begin is quite different...because although it can be spiritual, this is really a test to see if you can keep your word and challenge yourself.

So, this is my non-religious deprivation diet to allow my self, for one month, the self-control that I lack throughout the rest of the year. In fact it actually should have began two weeks ago on Ash Wednesday, but because of our trip to see family, I have postponed it to begin tomorrow. Sorry for the short notice, and if you need one more day to contemplate your goals, then I give you the executive privilege to do so. But you should still leave a comment and list what you are giving up.

My first year I gave up ice cream and it seemed like no big deal. The next year I gave up sweets all together. This year I have a whole new strategy and will disclose this information tomorrow.

Therefore, if you are going to be in on this fun activity here are the things you need to do:
1. Pick what you are going to give up and what is safe for you to keep in. (Write it down)
2. Eat a bunch of junk food today because it will be until Easter before you get to again.
3. Leave a comment that you are in and what you are giving up.
If you are "in" and post your comment, and you successfully keep your goal, then I will personally send you a finishers surprise! You MUST comment on tomorrow's post and you Must list what you are giving up.
If you mess up, you can send me a surprise...j/k. You just start again the next day.

I'm hoping to do various posts on my observations during my diet this time around because it will be a bit of a different strategy that has to do with my recent reading of the book "In Defense of Food". I am using myself as a bit of a test subject to see how my test pans out.
I went shopping tonight and I'm all set to begin tomorrow...the one hint I will give you about my choice is: this year Chocolate may NOT be completely out of my diet...but don't worry, it will even be more challenging than that!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

ok. so with great reluctancy, i join the challenge. i may need one more day to come up with how i'm going to do this. preliminary plan is to eliminate the crap from my diet (i.e. the chocolate and candy that does not need to be there- oh, and potentially the need to bake to feel happier....).
um, this will be....fun? :)

Rach said...

My aunts and cousins have been doing this for years! Its a good exercise in self-control. Do I have to pick food? Couldn't it be something that is extra-normously more difficult for me like no more ignoring my children while I self-indulge myself with hours of reading? (or blogging!)